Thursday, May 14, 2009

Big News: A Bundle of Joy is on the Way

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement to make!
I would like to present my beautiful new baby - the Flamma Aeterna LED hoop, v1.0. The product of months of solder, sweat, and tears, is now available for pre-order at a special discount price of as low as $130 for early adopters.

The official announcement can be found here, along with this gorgeous portrait of my bright little guy:



Seriously, CHECK THAT OUT. That's 9 LEDs (okay it's actually 11 because that's a photo of the prototype, and the blue section actually has 5 LEDs in it instead of 3 because I wanted to prove out some color-change LED options, but the red and green sections are only 3 LEDs apiece). Have you ever seen a 9 LED hoop that bright? That is not a trick of Photoshop my friends, that's a hearty helping of AWESOME right there. That's really what it looks like. Look at this 12 LED hoop made by some other dude and compare:



Comparatively, that thing couldn't light squat, and it averages more LEDs per section. Moreover, it is FILLED with watch batteries! For every 2 LEDs on that hoop, there are 3 watch batteries and 1 switch. Battery replacement alone would make you go broke! But my beautiful new baby is powered by one single 3V lithium CR123 (a camera battery) and will give you hours of sweet sweet LED lovin' in a single go.

This thing is no rinky-dink raver toy my friends, this is serious business. I had a fuse blow out one night a couple weeks ago due to shoddy 100-year-old electrical wiring. It blacked out my entire apartment and the basement downstairs (what kind of asshat electrician wires two whole floors of a house to one circuit breaker anyhow?). So, what did I do? Did I fumble around in the dark, banging my shins against all kinds of furniture, groping through drawers for some woefully inadequate flashlight? Nope. I flipped the switch on my Flamma LED hoop and took it downstairs to reset the breaker box. This thing not only lit up my apartment, I TRUSTED it to adequately light my way down the basement stairs of ankle-busting doom (the same demonic stairs that destroyed my ankle 2 days before Fall Wildfire 2008). That's how bright this thing is.

Matthew was right, we should totally do a luminous flux per dollar calculation on this thing. But until we do, take my word that you are getting some major LED lovin' for your buck.

And right now, as if you weren't already getting a great deal on quality LED stuff, you can pick your own custom LED color combination, and the custom work fee is rolled right into the price! That's right, since we are just starting to ramp up production, you can own a hoop that has been lovingly made by my own two hands, with all-custom LEDs, optimized for maximum brightness and battery life. People, it's an LED toy designed by professional electrical engineers who make robots and missiles for a living! If this thing does not rock your world, I want you to personally write to me and bitch about it - put it right here in the Plague! I am inviting YOU to become part of the design process, so you can make MY hoop rock YOUR world. So GO GET YOUR ASS EQUIPPED and tell me what you think! Buying one now means you are directly supporting the design endeavor to make this thing rock even harder later. And believe me, you'll wanna see the upgrades I'm making. Don't worry, they're all backwards-compatible.

As if all of the above weren't endorsement enough, take what you will from my personal experience - I am totally planning on having one of these around in my performance kit at all times, even though my other fire acts are comparatively far more entertaining than anything I could do with the hoop. Why? Well, in addition to being a nice hoop to practice and learn with, this hoop is GREAT at parties and pretty much DRUNK-PROOF. You know what I mean. We've all been there at one point or another: you bust out your toys for an impromptu fire show at somebody else's bonfire, and as soon as you're done, there is always That Guy (or Girl) that is absolutely fuh-trashed who won't stop saying "OOH, I WANNA TRY". And though you know someone is going to end up in the burn ward if you hand them some poi, you can always feel comfortable with handing them the Flamma hoop, because it's harmless, shiny, and a TON of fun in the hands of Mr. Sped. As with all toys that I design for other people, this model has been field-tested and proven to survive the rigors of my drunk and clumsy friends. Highly recommended - I give it two beers up.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!! -Steph