Monday, February 26, 2007

Great Moments in the History of LARPing

I like to think that I held it together pretty well as Amai, my drunken master character, last night at the Feast. It was the first time I had attended that type of event as a staff member, rather than a player. As stated in previous posts, I've had the fear that I'm unfit to be a Legends staff member due to the fact that I find my instinctual behavior often clashes with the tenets of professionalism that comes with being a cast member who provides a certain level of gameplay quality for paying customers. Thus, I was on my best behavior last night, taking special care to entirely avoid interaction with Jerrod and various other players such as to eliminate the risk of an encounter replete with offensive implications and foul language that, while in-character, would certainly not result in a mutually satisfying roleplaying experience for a paying customer. I really think I did well for the most part. I only lost it once:

During the post-dessert announcement portion of the dinner, Lord Tempus called up the Knights of Hennom and Huilam, their associated shaman, in order to dole out some type of public reprimand I wasn't entirely paying attention to. I had been making my social rounds and had just come to the Knights of Hennom table when Tempus bid them stand. Upon the conclusion of Tempus' public display of manhood, Huilam issued forth some sort of public apology, during which he uttered the following:

"... I am at your service, and should any of you need, please do not hesitate to come to me - I shall personally cleanse your taint."

At this point, I need to give props to one rather attractive Sir Sergei of Hennom for his quick thinking in anticipating that the drunk might not take this statement as intended, for he did immediately round and point at me, commanding "YOU SHUT UP! Don't say anything!" only seconds before I burst into a rather robust fit of snorts and giggles, inciting more muted giggling amongst my remaining tablemates.

But truly, it was Huilam, the noble shaman, who made my evening complete. Major props to you, Huilam. You made an otherwise desperately boring Feast worthwhile for me to attend. Yet another great moment in the history of LARPing. Grundle on, cowboy.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

No comments: