And while we're at it, I suppose, Happy 21st to me too! Today's entry marks a great moment in the history web-logging, as it is officially the 50th of what I hope to be many many quality entries to come in the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette.
But certainly the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette would not have come this far, were it not for the gracious kindnesses of so many benefactors. Among them, there is no doubt that Chmrr deserves special recognition and immense thanks for his time, effort, and generosity in donating the web space and moveable type facility, and converting the old Bubonic Plague Luncheonette from its amateuristic hand-coded html days into the beautiful webpage you are reading today. Words alone cannot thank you enough! A toast to you!
Of course, the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette would be nothing were it not for the readership I seem to have acquired over (what seems to be) the month of June! Never had I anticipated such a small but fierce group of Plague-ies, but nevertheless, here is but a small sampling of the feedback I've received:
"Buboni- huh?" - Michael
"I think I woke Spann up by letting one rip just as he was about to nod off" - Carsten
"...sure as shit will never smell like flowers!" - Max
"Acch aye o narr o' Sunday Brunch!" - Paddy O'Grady and the Born-Again Irishmen
My fondest thanks go out to the Plague-ies, the heart and soul and cannon-fodder for this prestigious internet publication.
And so, here I sit, sipping from my glass of Navarro Grape Juice (the nice chardonnay was finished earlier, thank you very much), pontificating on what would make an appropriate 50th entry topic. Rather than looking at 50 entries in retrospect, I think I'd like to merely point out a few highlights in the illustrious history The Plague, and leave the rest to those of you who wish to read up and comment on the works that made the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette... er... infamous.
In August, 2003, the Plague premiered with a pilot entry involving meeses and erotic Linux penguins. These entries were followed up by Mother-Loving DMV, and Mother-Loving DMV - Take II, regaling Cockgobbler Ramon for his atrocious ways. The Bubonic Plague Luncheonette went through some dry spells here and there, followed up by a brief period of extreme emotion and drunk 'n' disorderliness, to arise once again with the entry Entertainment Value, and proceeded thenceforth into a Renaissance of entries involving vomit and vehicles.
All in all, it seems that a bright future is in store for the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette thanks to everyone who makes it possible. And I'll drink to that!
In fact, I'll drink to a lot of things - legally even! As, after all, today marks another significant milestone in my lifetime, and as long as you only live once, you'd better make the most of it. Reflecting back on 21 years of life, I realize that I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, but I think I've learned a couple of really important life lessons, sure as shit will never smell like flowers. Some, I'm sure you've seen in the Plague. Others, they're still slowly rotating in the [inverse] rotisserie of my mind, not fully cooked through yet. One might even go as far as to say "half baked."
But perhaps one of the most important things I've learned in 21 years of living (that I haven't already mentioned in past pages, including the all-important "don't forget to flush"), is something that my parents have told me since before I really understood what it meant. And that is to "be original."
So that's it. That's the grand lesson of 50 entries of Plague-ing. Be original. There's nothing worse than following without understanding, except the acrid, suphuric stench of unflushed... er... untapped waste[d] potential of doing something that truly makes a difference in Le Grand Bog of life just because you were told not to but never understood why. While the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette may never make a great difference in this world, if it makes but one person smile and perhaps see things from a different angle, it makes all the difference to me. Life may be one big pervy film on DVD, but dammit, it's just no good if you can't see it from multiple angles.
Still more to come, but alas my glass is empty. And so I bid you all good night. And as always...
Further bulletins as events warrant.
P.S. For the record, I was paid the neatest compliment for my birthday today. In response to a comment I made on the lines of, "most folks would consider me to be an asshole," somebody told me I was "like a living weapon against other assholes." I feel like Vampire Hunter D. But what would I use instead of a talking hand...? Perhaps I shouldn't think about that one too much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment