Here I am in El Cerrito, aptly dubbed the Land of Flakes and Nuts, feeling crunchy - as accurately predicted by one particularly astute man.
Mmm... perhaps a different sort of crunchy, as I suppose I've actually just left one Land of Flakes and Nuts for another - though at least the flakes and nuts here have senilty and old age to blame. The other ones I left for the summer, well, they've got no excuse, really.
Today... well today was a net neutral day. Same ol' same ol', though I did manage to make good progress on my little dragon bodice. Did the usual "driving practice," which was the usual blood-pressure increasing, confidence-killing routine. Only this time, I managed to get somewhere! Yes, the trip to the corsetier's shop for boning and such really added something to my day - so all in all, it was a net neutral. And as June 7th draws ever closer, I find that preparations are being carefully laid out: Michael asked his readers to pray for Ramon's immortal soul in his Livejournal entry today. I feel so proud.
Livejournal's always been one of those things that's intrigued me - like so many of the other online communities, it seems to be one of those things that sees sudden surges in use when one person starts telling all of his friends to "get an account so I can link to you and you can see who I'm linked to and who I'm friends with" etc. etc. Like Orkut, and Friendster, it spreads in bursts, a lot like an STD within incestuous dating circles. Ahhh yes, but I've seen enough of those to last me a lifetime - incestuous dating circles that is, not STDs. I almost wish someone would insert a case of herpes or something in the local incestuous daters mix, just for good measure. Teach everyone a lesson about the village bicycle and whatnot. "Look who's peeing with a funnel and a hose now!"
But I digress. Livejournal - incredible that there are those who feel comfortable enough to amass large network, and still post honest comments for all to see. Certainly there are those who use the livejournal merely to recount their daily mundane activities - others still use the journals for musings, which I find to be a far more interesting use of one's webspace. Admittedly as one who also keeps a web log, I just can't help but wonder how honest one can be when you're linked to so many other potential viewers. I take a little comfort in the fact that the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette is at least secure through obscurity, and that it takes an actual knowledge of its existence in order to gain access to its contents - or distinct google prowess. But honestly, as you progress farther and farther down the "friends of friends" chain in a livejournal, inevitably, you're going to arrive at some cretin you're probably going to offend with the contents of your journal - and who wants to deal with that (unless, of course, it's intended offense)? Given that there are settings to adjust the relative privacy of one's journal, it's still fairly risky business to link oneself with so many people.
Curiosity got the better of me lately - well, that and the fact that I've been asked to read so many people's livejournals I figured I might as well find a better way of scrolling through them all. So, I've got a blank livejournal - well, mostly I've just nailed down a username in the system at this point, and now I've arrived at a dilemma: do I port the Bubonic Plague Luncheonette into a livejournal and maintian them simultaneously? It's inevitable that people will eventually figure out my username through links to other journals (or familiarity with my affinity for beverages of a refreshing nature), so the question really is, do I want to expand readership that far?
Thoughts? Comments? Bacon?
Further bulletins as events warrant
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment